Hero Image

Important Tenant Information






It is your legal responsibility to pay your rent to the Landlord in advance. Please ensure that your payments reach us on or before the due date. Harcourts Property Management will not physically collect your rent. Rent must be paid by the method stated on your tenancy agreement. If you have any problems with your rent payments please notify your Property Manager at the earliest possible time. If you fall into arrears, we will be obligated to follow the procedures outlined in the Residential Tenancies Act to collect the rent on behalf of our Landlord.




The rental bond is requested as financial protection should there be a breach in the Tenancy Agreement. Your rental bond will be lodged with Rental Deposit Authority. The bond is held as security against any property damage, undue wear and tear or in the event there is rent outstanding. In the event that there is no damage to the property over and above ‘normal wear and tear’ expected during the term of your tenancy, rent is paid as appropriate, the bond amount will be refunded promptly by the Rental Deposit Authority after you vacate. The amount of the bond is specified in the Tenancy Agreement document.




The Landlord is responsible for insuring the property. The Landlord is not responsible for any damage to tenants’ possessions. Tenants should take out their own contents insurance for their possessions.




It is your responsibility unless advised otherwise to have the utilities (gas, electricity, telephone, pay TV, internet) connected in your name. You must have the account finalised when you vacate. It is the landlords' responsibility to have water connected and to pay the service charges, however it is the tenants' responsibility to pay for excess water charges.




Once any outstanding issues have been addressed when the tenant and Landlord/agent agree that the bond should be paid out, the security bond refund form will need to be completed and signed by both parties. The document is forwarded to the Bond Authority requesting the release of all bond monies held against the tenancy.



Included in this pack is a property condition report. This is used to determine the condition of the property upon your occupation and ensure that it is returned to us in the same condition. It also ensures that you are not held responsible for damage at the expiry of your tenancy which may have been there prior to your occupation. You have three working days to make comment and additional notes, sign and return the document to our office. The document will be filed with your Tenancy Agreement and used as evidence of the property condition at tenancy commencement compared to the condition upon return.


Inspections will be made at regular intervals during your tenancy. We are required under the guide lines of the Residential Tenancies Act to provide you with two days written notice of the upcoming inspection. This letter will specify the date and a four hour block period during which the inspection will be conducted. Unfortunately due to time constraints, it is not possible to alter the inspection time. You don’t have to be present, but are most welcome to be there so we can discuss any problems or aspects of your tenancy that require attention.



Tenants are to park only in the designated areas. Please ensure cars are not parked on grass verges or lawns. Cars that are not warranted, registered or running are not to be parked on the premises. In the case of units or flats the strata company or body corporate rules pertaining to vehicles as set for the complex must be adhered to. Oil stains: drip trays are to be kept on the garage floor to protect it from oil stains. Should damage occur the tenant will promptly attend to degreasing.




Should you wish to make any changes to the property including decoration you must obtain written permission from the Landlord before any work commences. If consent is given, costs, colours and products used will need to be agreed on.




It is a requirement of your Tenancy Agreement that you as the tenant are responsible for keeping garden weeds to a minimum, and lawns mowed regularly, unless otherwise provided for in the Tenancy Agreement.




It is important when you notice a maintenance issue that you inform our office as soon as possible, in writing. This can be done using the maintenance request form and can be issued via email, SMS or letter. Jobs requiring attention by tradespeople firstly require permission from the Landlord. Once the Landlord’s approval has been obtained, a work order is forwarded directly to the specific tradesperson, who will then be in direct contact with you to arrange a convenient time to address the approved maintenance. Please be aware that works carried out on the property by any person not approved under a work order from the Harcourts Kingborough office may result in your liability to pay the account.


Please visit our Repair and Maintenance pages for more information or to submit a maintenance request.



We ask that you always try to contact your Property Representative first, however if it is after hours and you cannot contact the Property Representative, you are permitted to contact an emergency contractor directly. The legislation is specific about what constitutes an emergency repair and it’s important that you know that should the issue not be deemed an emergency, you will be responsible for the account. Any emergency repair is something that is likely to cause injury, is an essential service, or which makes the property unsafe or insecure. (Eg: burst water service, broken toilet (where there is no other toilet), serious leak, serious electrical fault.)




If you are permitted under your agreement to keep a pet at the property, please ensure that you regularly collect and dispose of any faeces. Any damage to the property caused by the pet must be rectified by the tenant. Any permitted outdoor animal must NOT enter the premises, as pet damage to the property can null and void an owner’s building and landlord insurance.




The tenant shall ensure that all care is taken to avoid damage to the premises by the tenants themselves or their guests. You are required to give notice to the Landlord of any damage to the premises as soon as you become aware of it.

Occupying or Leaving a Property


Only the people (and the number of people) included on your tenancy agreement are permitted to reside at the property on a permanent basis. Should a tenant wish to move out please notify us in writing immediately.



It is a requirement of your tenancy for you to seek permission from us if you wish for another person to occupy the property for a period longer than seven days. We require the person to submit an application for residential tenancy requesting permission to reside at the property under your current lease term. We then process their application and check their references to ensure they are a suitable occupant. The Landlord is then requested to grant permission for this occupant to occupy the property. If permission is granted the tenant is only permitted to reside at the property under your current lease agreement. As the primary tenant of the property, it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to ensure rent is paid in full and on time and that the property sustains no damage. If damage does occur and rent is not paid, it will be YOUR bond which is claimed against. 



Your tenancy agreement is a legally binding contract and as such a process needs to be followed to break any tenancy agreement. In the first instance, please contact your Property Representative to inform them of your intention. They will forward you a ‘vacate form’ and details of your obligations. Please note, the office cannot begin to advertise your property for rent until the ‘vacate’ form has been executed and returned. In accordance with the relevant Residential Tenancy Act, you will be required to pay all costs incurred as outlined in your vacate form. Vacating Fixed Term Tenancy: a tenant on a fixed term lease is required under the Residential Tenancies Act to give 14 days written notice of their intention to vacate.





When you decide to leave the property you are required to give 14 days written notice. Please contact your Property Manager for a ‘notice to vacate’ form to be sent to you. Please complete the form and notice is effective from the date it is received by the office.





Contact your Property Representative to discuss your legal requirements with regards to ending your tenancy, as written notice periods will be required. Once the Property Representative has received/issued your ‘Notice of Intention to Vacate/Notice to Vacate’, they will contact you and advise requirements for handing over vacant possession. Once vacant possession is established (that is, all keys have been returned) a bond/final inspection can be completed. Please note: a Property Representative cannot complete a bond/final inspection until vacant possession has been established and rent may be payable until all keys are returned. The bond will only be returned once it has been established that all rent is paid as required, the property has been returned in its original condition as per the entry condition report (excluding fair wear and tear) and all applicable invoices have been paid. Some offices may complete a pre-final inspection, however this is not a requirement in all states.





Please ensure you notify us immediately of any change to your employment and business or home telephone number. This is to ensure that we can contact you should the need arise.